Yield: Serves 4-6
1 cup steel cut oats
3 1/2 cups of water
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon, Raisins, or whatever topping you like.
1. Bring the water to a boil in a large pot. Add the steel cut oats and the salt. Stir.
2. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 30 minutes. Make sure you stir the oats occasionally so they don’t stick to the pan.
3. When the oats start to thicken, at about 30 minutes, add in the milk and vanilla. I think the milk makes the oats creamer. Stir the oats, milk and vanilla together and cook for ten more minutes.
4. Add in the cinnamon and raisins or whatever topping you wish.
5. If you want to make bruleed oats; put the oats in a bowl, sprinkle with brown sugar and turbinado sugar. With a creme brulee torch, fire the top of the oats until the sugar is crystallized
Serve the oats hot. If you want you can let the oats cool and then portion them out into smaller containers. To reheat, I add a splash of milk and reheat in the microwave for 1 – 2 minutes.
*Note – you can use 4 cups of water and omit the milk, I just like the creaminess the milk adds.*
~provided by Bill Johnson